Laurencekirk (/ˌlɒrənsˈkɜːrk/, Scots: Lowrenkirk,Scottish Gaelic: Eaglais Labhrainn), colloquially known as “The Lang Toun” or simply “The Kirk”, is a small town in the historic county of Kincardineshire, Scotland, just off the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen main road, which bypassed it in 1985. It is administered as part of Aberdeenshire. It is the largest settlement in the Howe o’ the Mearns area and houses the local secondary school; Mearns Academy, which was established in 1895 and awarded the Charter Mark in 2003.
Its old name was Conveth, an anglification of the Gaelic Coinmheadh, referring to an obligation to provide free food and board to passing troops. Laurencekirk is in the valley between the Hill of Garvock and the Cairn O’ Mount. The famous landmark of the Johnston Tower can be seen on the peak of the Garvock.
Laurencekirk was, in the past, known for making snuff boxes with a special type of airtight hinge (known as a “Laurencekirk hinge”) invented by James Sandy.
Laurencekirk Golf Club (now defunct) first appeared in the early 1900s. The club closed at the time of WW2.
Lewis Grassic Gibbon wrote much about The Mearns and the surrounding area in his book Sunset Song. A tribute centre can be visited at Arbuthnott a few miles from Laurencekirk.